Re: [OM] [marginally OT] - falling OM prices on ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] [marginally OT] - falling OM prices on ebay
From: Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:22:31 +0200
Some list members have commented on my preference for private sllers
over camera dealers, in particular on eBay. I feel that I have to add
some explanation to what I said earlier.

My point was, that many people, especially foreigners who may face
import duties, do prefer private sales because those are less prone to
being taxed. Tax rate is 23 0.000000e+00re!
Here in Holland (as in most of the rest of Europe), all corporate
parcels from the USA are investigated by customs. Most private parcels
are not.
On the customs declaration form, accompanying each parcel in
transatlantic mail, the seller has to check either the gift-box or the
merchandise-box. Corporate sellers are not happy about checking the
gift-box and entering a low value - because this may inhibit proper
insurance. And when they add an invoice, it has to match the
declaration, and consequently the 'gift'-box cannot be checked.
This is one reason to avoid camera dealers for international
transactions, unless you know that they will be helpful in this
respect (some are!)

Another issue is quality. The first transaction with a private seller
is more risky than with a camera dealer, I am the first to admit that.
But once I know a particular seller and have good experience with the
equipment bought from him, I will try to deal with him again. It is
likely that all equipment owned by a private seller has been treated
with the same care.  It is also easier to get useful information on
the item, because a private seller will know more about his own
property than a dealer on his traded-in items.
A camera dealer selling used items may not be able to tell me (because
he doesn't know himself) how careful the original owner treated his
gear. He may perhaps give a warranty, but for overseas buyers this is
not much help because it is so expensive to return the item with a
second risk of having duties imposed.

Concluding I must repeat that a private seller, in particular one  I
know and have good experience with, is my preferred source of used
equipment - both for economical reasons (taxes/duties) and for reasons
of quality.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht Holland.