Re: [OM][FS] 16mm fisheye and 2 OM-2 bodies

Subject: Re: [OM][FS] 16mm fisheye and 2 OM-2 bodies
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:12:46 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:47:28 -0400 (EDT), Mark Dapoz wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Kiker, James wrote:
>
>> 16mm f/3.5 Zuiko full-frame fisheye lens.
>>
>> Black OM-2.
>
>I know that for-sale postings have been a touchy subject in the past, and
>I really don't want to open that can of worms again, but I can't let this
>posting go by without comment.  The general "rule" that's been more or less
>agreed upon is that personal for-sale postings are ok, but commercial postings
>are forbidden.

I've been on the list for a couple of years now, and don't recall any
consensus that commercial posts are forbidden. An *exclusively*
commercial presence is frowned on, but we have several active list
posters who either run shops or at least trade enough equipment to be
considered part-time brokers. As *I* recall the consensus, we've
welcomed posts from these users.

>James just purchased this
>lens and body off of eBay (see auction 467425170) a few days ago.

This is relevant how?

>  He's now
>trying to use the list to sell these items for a considerable profit.
>Personally, I feel this is wrong.

Wrong how? Are you being forced to buy? Has he established a
monopoly? Is he taking advantage of uninformed buyers?

An argument could be made that this is the most educated population
of Olympus equipment buyers on the planet. People regularly post
trading prices for oly equipment, regularly discuss the merits and
demerits of each piece of equipment, post suggestions on evaluating
used equipment, etc. So if he waded into the list and offered a lens
for more than its worth, it likely won't sell. If it does sell, it
will sell to someone who had the resources to determine value.

>  I'm all for seeing the for-sale postings,
>I really love them, but I feel that this is going beyond the "personal"
>aspect of the rule.

As noted above, I'm not aware of the rule you cite.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co/Bean Farms                http://www.beancotton.com