[OM] Digital backs

Subject: [OM] Digital backs
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 13:27:05 +0100
Last week I received the autumn issue of OlympUser magazine from the
UK Olympus Camera Club. This seems to be a rather odd organization,
I'm not sure of its relationship with the Big O, can any of our UK
readers enlighten me?

It includes a preliminary review of the Camedia E-10 digital SLR. It
says:

"The E-10 Camedia - E(lite) - is the Olympus answer to requests for a
more conventional SLR digital camera".

(Digression - I rather like E(lite) - puts me in mind of such
abominations as Miller Lite near-beer, which I don't think is quite
what the authors intended!)

It goes on to talk about why they designed with it a fixed lens rather
than interchangeable. The main reason given is that CCDs, being
electrically charged, attract dust big-time. With interchangeable
lenses you would give the dust far too many opportunities to enter the
body and thus be attracted to the CCD. With a sealed unit you remove
that problem. This does sound like a plausible argument to me, even
though it's not what I want to hear.

Elsewhere in the mag there is a nice picture of someone taking a macro
shot of a flower on an Oly-sponsored nature photography course. He is
using what might be a 90/2 on a chrome OM body with a Varimagni
finder. The only equipment that gets a mention in the accompanying
text is the Benbo tripod - and the fact that the photo of the OM was
taken with a C2020Z digital!

John