[OM] Panicky about a Lack of Light

Subject: [OM] Panicky about a Lack of Light
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:22:19 -0700
Thanks to those who tackled my questions about lens design and 2-series
focusing screens a digest back. I have a lingering but urgent question
about focusing screens, and it has to do with something stupid I did on
eBay. I purchased a 500 Zuiko cat, and woke up in the middle of the night
wondering how the heck an f/8 lens would let in enough light to even
allow me to focus on the sun (just kidding, "never run with scissors or
point your Zuiko at the sun," I know, I know.) I mean, the light that my
f/3.5 macro admits makes me pretty cranky--will I see anything at all
with an f/8 lens? What have I done??? So, you with focusing screen
expertise, riddle me this: what screen should I be shopping for? I have a
1-8 matte and a 1-10 checker/matte, but I'm thinking perhaps I should
consider the 1-7 clear field (after all, who cares about depth of field
on a one-f-stop lens) or maybe give over completely to an intenscreen. (I
have ze-ro experience with the 1-5 to 1-7 types of clear screens. Do you
like yours?) I purchased the first version of the intenscreen a dozen
years ago and hated it, it was so coarse. But I think Beattie is on their
second or third generation by now. Those who have them -- what do you
think of the new Beattie screens? (I don't mention the Oly 2-series
screens here because I just can't find 'em for sale right now. John H
says they're backordered.)

Through the glass darkly,

Kelton