Re: [OM] Photo Techniques' 25 Best Cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Techniques' 25 Best Cameras
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 07:30:41 +0200
My mother uses a Spotmatic, bought in the early 60s I believe. It is well made and takes some good lenses. But it has stop-down metering, it is big and heavy and the mount is screw...

It may be that the vintage is what they were referring to when comparing the Spotmatic to the Leica. Any other similarity must surely be imagined.

Chris

Mike Johnston, departing editor of Photo Techniques, has a '25 Best Cameras'
article in the Nov/Dec 2000 issue. Naturally, the OM4T is listed since it
has the 'best metering system ever devised for a 35mm camera'. So that's
good. Even worth a 'Hooray!!' But -

I was a little surprised that the Pentax Spotmatic was listed because it
'may be the  closest we've ever come to a Leica rangefinder in an SLR...'
So, like, what about the OM-1, huh?

I suppose you'll have to excuse my chauvinism, after all this is the Olympus
list. But in what way is the Spotmatic better than an OM-1? I haven't
handled a Spotmatic myself, but I'm sure the collective wisdom of the list
has some opinions on this?

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx

--