Re: [OM] Baffled

Subject: Re: [OM] Baffled
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 07:21:20 GMT
From: "David Jenkinson" <jenkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:31:20 +0100

...Can somebody explain this to me in non baffling
terms?

No.  %^)

A technical whiz explained it all for me a couple of years ago. Made sense at the time. I've forgotten almost everything he wrote.

Pop Photo's lens tests used to show these kinds of variances - I don't recall whether their current abbreviated results do.

I can measure the variances in some of my Canon lenses when mounted on my T70 bodies, which have very responsive meters. Older cds meters like those on my OM-1 and Canon FTbn don't seem to pick up the variances readily.

In real world photos, I see no differences even with slow film like Kodachrome.

Regarding the fixed- vs. variable-aperture zoom debate, I don't buy the claims that fixed-aperture zooms/varifocals are necessarily better in performance. However, the fact that the manufacturer took the extra trouble to design it as such often indicates it's a premium lens. But that premium performance may result from other factors such as apochromatic design and low dispersion elements. And variable-aperture zooms can be made smaller, which many of us prefer.