Re: [OM] Street shooting with the 24/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Street shooting with the 24/2.8
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:00:26 GMT
As a photojournalist I never worried about the ethics of shooting in public. If it was newsworthy, it was covered. We were generally expected to obtain names of individuals who were the prime subjects whenever possible. But in photos of masses, such as at carnivals, meetings, etc.? Nah.

As an individual photographer applicable laws and interpretations vary too widely and wildly. I don't even bother to try to understand it anymore.

Most of my shots in which humans figure utilize people for scale, to make some statement regarding context or something along those lines. The photos are very rarely "about" those people as individuals, and they're seldom readily identifiable. That protects their privacy and me from legal hassles.

I'd bet the great majority of us throughout the history of photography have taken these shots for our private use, mostly as exercises or to explore a certain artistic avenue, seldom if ever to be shown publicly. Naturally the nature of the web facilitates public display to the extent that we do need to consider our actions more than in the past.
Lex Jenkins
"Budda-budda-budda!!!" - Sgt. Rock
From: John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 07:59:14 -0700

Yesterday, a bright sunny afternoon here in Vancouver, I went street
shooting with my 4T, 24/2.8, and 400 ISO Ilford Delta...Afterwards I got to thinking about the ethics of it all.