[OM] OM-2 (How long will the shutter stay open)

Subject: [OM] OM-2 (How long will the shutter stay open)
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 08:39:27 -0600
On 13 Oct 2000, at 16:27, clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The original Olympus OM-2 Instruction book says...
[SNIP!]
> I can't find my OM-2n Instruction book, but I believe the "guaranteed"
> exposure range was doubled to two minutes under similar conditons.
[SNIP!]
> In use, however, an OM-2 or OM-2n _may_ keep the shutter open much
> longer than one or two minutes.  But both models have a tiny LED peeking
> into one of the Silicon Blue Cells to assure that, even in "total"
> darkness, the shutter will eventually close.  The P-circuit of the OM-2n
> will also cut power after approximately three minutes, anyway.

My OM-2(non-N) stays open about 2.5 (sometimes almost 3) minutes
when the shutter is release is depressed outdoors at night with a lens
cap on.  I use ASA 200 print film.  Did that a couple of times...  once
just "playing around" and once by accident.

Btw, the shots of the backside of a lens cap aren't very photographically
interesting!  <G>

Regards,

Chris