Re: [OM] Beware of the USPS - I'm getting scr**wed

Subject: Re: [OM] Beware of the USPS - I'm getting scr**wed
From: Marcio Watanabe <marcio_w@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:11:44 -0700
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:30:29 -0600, "Chris O'Neill"
<coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Seems to me that's DARNED good "evidence of value."  And, if they
>had the energy do to it, they could have gone onto e-Bay and looked the
>transaction up themselves (within 30 days of closing, anyway).

Actually they couldn't because you can only file an insurance claim 30
days after the mailing date.

>Let me get this straight....  If I bought an OM-4Ti (to put a little OM
>content into the thread) at a camera store and sent it to you (Marcio),
>and then bought another OM-4Ti off of e-Bay and sent it to Tom (Gee!
>Ain't *I* generous?!?!), and they both got lost, the USPS would honor
>the claim on the store-bought because I would have a store receipt, but
>they wouldn't honor the claim for the OM-4TI bought on e-Bay?!?!

I appreciate you sending the new OM-4Ti to me, Chris. :-)

The post office will indeed treat the cases differently.  While the
claim with the store receipt would be likely to be paid quickly, they
would be more likely to investigate and sometimes deny a claim without
a store receipt (i.e. if they suspect fraud).   However, regardless
what Tom's post office says, I don't think auctions are specifically
excluded.   If they insist it is, ask them to show the specific
section of the _USPS Domestic Mail Manual_ that says that.

About "evidence of value", one of the examples given in the Manual is
a customer's own written statement describing the item, condition and
price paid.

I checked all this last year BTW.  The popularity of online auctions
might have increased insurance claims and consequently fraud, so I
don't know if my information is still current.  *Always* read the fine
print yourselves.

Marcio
--
                      _