Re: [OM] Beware of the USPS - I'm getting scr**wed

Subject: Re: [OM] Beware of the USPS - I'm getting scr**wed
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:30:29 -0600
On 12 Oct 2000, at 14:25, Marcio Watanabe wrote:

> No, they would not make good on it.  You have to provide "evidence of
> value."  In no event they would pay a claim by you just presenting the
> insurance receipt with the stated value.

Okay, fair 'nuff!  Otherwise, people would put $1,000,000 value on every
parcel they sent, and then hope like hell it got lost!  (Hmmmm...!!!) <G>

But, unless I'm missing something here, Tom DID provide "evidence of
value" by presenting a print-out of the e-Bay auction.  That showed:

1.  The Seller (or at least his/her e-mail address)
2.  The Buyer (or at least his/her e-mail address)
3.  The description and price of the transaction
4.  The date of the transaction

Seems to me that's DARNED good "evidence of value."  And, if they
had the energy do to it, they could have gone onto e-Bay and looked the
transaction up themselves (within 30 days of closing, anyway).

Let me get this straight....  If I bought an OM-4Ti (to put a little OM
content into the thread) at a camera store and sent it to you (Marcio),
and then bought another OM-4Ti off of e-Bay and sent it to Tom (Gee!
Ain't *I* generous?!?!), and they both got lost, the USPS would honor
the claim on the store-bought because I would have a store receipt, but
they wouldn't honor the claim for the OM-4TI bought on e-Bay?!?!

Doesn't make ANY sense to me!!!

Chris

P.S.  Haven't had a chance to check with Canada Post yet to see if
that's the case here, too, but the people at the Post Office have told me
that they get alot of business shipping e-Bay related parcels.  I
mentioned e-Bay at the P.O. one day, and the lady said, "Oh?  You
too?" and then told me there's about a dozen people she knows of in
Edmonton doing the e-Bay thing.

I'll let the list know what I found out.