Re: [OM] RE: one body ...

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: one body ...
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:45:06 EDT
In a message dated 10/11/00 6:08:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rubydoomsday@xxxxxxxxxxxx cheerfully writes:

> On another note -does anyone have any relevant - in use - info on the value
>  of an OM-30 (OM F) as a backup body? I've found a cheapie ... everything
>  seems to work and the build quality is peachy keen.

I have one of these as a spare. The only problem is that it takes 5 batteries
to keep it running.  But they seem to last at least one year with light use.

>   I also like the finder -
>  it reminds me of a 2S I had once (longing sigh). Can anyone tell me if the
>  "in-focus indicator" is worth anything at all? Is this a primitive version
>  of the system in the Contax RX? Or is it a marketing irrelevance bought in
>  to draw attention away from the crappy AF lens this body was supposed to be
>  matched with?

I always trust my eyes rather than the green dot so it is basically useless.
You can use the in focus cord with a winder so that when an object runs into
or out of the photo and goes into focus, the auto winder will trigger.  You
can also do this in reverse withthe in focus cord and winder by activating it
by turning the focus on a manual focus lens.  I have not tested this for
accuracy because the closing of the shutter had a bit of a delay and seemed
to be inaccurate through the viewfinder.

>   Am I the only one who hates the idea of a rectangular shutter
>  release? All else seems fine with this body so is $AUD 110.00 the good deal
>  I think it is? (That's actually including a crappy SC 50 1.8 and rubber
49mm
>  lens hood).

It is a good deal for a backup body though.

Warren