Re: [OM] How did they do that (was: is this for real)

Subject: Re: [OM] How did they do that (was: is this for real)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:44:15 -0700

- The writing on the signs are in all different directions,
  some are right-side-up, some are reversed, some are upside-
  down.  But they all overlap as if they are all visible
  together in exactly that fashion.  So how could this be?

Unless there is a special large poster of these "neon signs"
printed and put on the wall as a backdrop, I just don't see
how it can be done.  There was no photo-credit with the ad,
so there is no one to contact.  So if you have time, please
take a look at the ad and try to explain how this was done.
Thanks.
        -Dan

It looks like a PhotoShop composition to me. For instance, the white hanging banner with the golden figure that is shaped like the letter "c" is shown in the upper left hand corner hanging from a rod and is repeater in different angles as if it is a circular hanging of identical banners. However in the lower right hand corner there is one that is upside down apparently pulled upward by gravity. Interesting. The first time I saw it I thought it was a raised walkway.

You get an interesting view with a downward perspective on the left past the "walkway" and apparently going down several stories, but you have a subway sign in the upper right hand corner where it could not be seen by a pedestrian. It is interesting that the reflection of the girl in the red jacket is relatively sharp and transparent, but the reflection of the unseen woman is opaque and out of focus. The young man in the yellow shirt in the lower distance is quite sharp. So apparently there is a sharp field of focus in front and in the distance with out of focus in the middle which does not usually happen with a camera lens.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA