Re: [OM] 90/2 Macro FS (also 250 back and MD1)

Subject: Re: [OM] 90/2 Macro FS (also 250 back and MD1)
From: Dylan <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:19:44 +1000
> Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:13:54 +1000
> From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] 90/2 Macro FS
>
> Dylan wrote:
>
> > Foto Riesel Camera House (Kent St Sydney) have a Zuiko 90/2 for sale at
> > A$890. It is SH, but doesn't have any obvious wear, optics and diaphragm
> > are perfect. At the current exchange rates, this is well under the ebay
> > average for this lens on Skip's website (US$543).
>
> Remember that there are other factors other than just the exchange rate
> variation, most of the Oly stuff I see for sale in the US is considerably
> more expensive than what I could buy it for in Oz (in a camera store).

True, but most of the OM stuff I see for sale here in Oz is also asking
considerably more than I would pay for it in a camera store. Most people
seem to price at the two extremes - outrageously expensive (they
probably based their prices on the Gunz lists), or very cheap ("surely
nobody would pay that much for some old manual thingy that isn't a Nikon
or Canon"). I've only come across a few places that are reasonable and
realistic

> think the effect of ebay in influencing prices is currently greater in the
> US than in Oz, but can we be far behind ?

Sadly I think not - I haven't seen any fantastic bargains (like my $155
500/8, or $20 T20) for some time.

Unfortunately the availability of
> Oly stuff here doesn't seem to be as good as the US, e.g. I have *never*
> seen a 90mm f2, a 40mm f2 and have only seen 1 16mm f3.5 used (I bought
> that).

I've recently found a few places that seem to be where the exotics end
up. MCC in the Hilton arcade have recently had the 80mm and 20mm macros
as well as the telescoping extension tube, a t8 ringflash and
controller, and no less than 3 OM2sp bodies in the window at once.
Foto Riesel have the 90/2, MD1, and 250 back (it has electrical contacts
below the film plate, so I gather it's the second model. At about $300
this is a bargain compared to the one on offer at $1000 at fletchers!).
According to the saleswoman they also have a big OM collection with many
exotics from a deceased esate being appraised, which should be in the
store soon.

Whilton camera service have had 35 shifts, 35-70/3.6s and a few other
goodies too.

> >They also have an MD1
> > with 18V control grip for about A$350.
>
> What sort of condition ?  Seems comparable with what I have seen them for in
> Melbourne.  I know of a LNIB one for sale at $AU895.

The condition looks alright (probably "exc", very similar to the one at
fletchers but that also had the boxes thrown in for _only_ $500 extra
;-). I would actually like some sort of winder/MD, but want something
more compact than the 18v grip, and don't need the extra speed anyway.

Dylan