Re: [OM] (wildly [OT]) Fanny packs

Subject: Re: [OM] (wildly [OT]) Fanny packs
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:17:06 GMT
Fanny = Face?  Hmm...only in a well-known insult, in America.

Fanny is simply another term for derriere here, and is the least off-color term I can think of in our verbal pastiche. Rump, rear-end and others are more or less in the category of inoffensive usages. Some have borrowed bum from the British.

It isn't uncommon now to hear "ass" bandied about on TV, much as kindergarteners whisper "doody" to hilarious effect.

That's as far as I dare go.

It's safe to say that outside of the military, I've never seen a "fanny pack" or "bum bag" worn in either of that same location - other, perhaps, than on a cyclist. I carried my extras in a jersey than had rear pockets when I cycled, tho'.

Every fanny pack I see is worn in front, by man and woman alike. A photographer for the local paper wears her photo-fanny pack in front as well. I suspect that wearing it on the hip simply makes getting through a door or crowd that much harder.

Nope, the ubiquitous "fanny pack" is now the all-American, gender-neutral codpiece. What one keeps in it is one's own affair. I would think the cod would get rather smelly.
Lex Jenkins
Hoist my petard!  Yoikes and away!! - Ur Amblet, 'The Very Bad Quarto'