Re: [OM] Edmonton Photo Fair, Fort Edmonton

Subject: Re: [OM] Edmonton Photo Fair, Fort Edmonton
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 03:57:35 GMT
You got it right, Ray. Optical aberrations aside, we pretty much see the world as our lenses do (fisheyes excepted). Our brains simply make automatic corrections that tell us otherwise. If our brains suddenly stopped making those corrections we'd become very disoriented.

I remember one of my first experiences with perspective, from when I was around three years old. Far away highway overpasses were terrifying because one of two things would happen: either we'd be crushed trying to squeeze beneath those tiny overpasses; or we'd be crushed when our car shrank the way all the cars ahead of us did.
-----------
Lex Jenkins
"Thith dethert ith thtupid." - Butthead

From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:12:06 -0700 (PDT)

...what we call 'distortion' is
simply a matter of the distance from which we view photos. If you hold
a photo taken with a WA lens close enough to your eye, it will not
appear distorted any more because you then have the same 'perspective'
as the lens. Likewise, a picture taken with a long focus lens will look
more natural if viewed from a greater distance. I find the latter
easier to understand, because all the long lens has done is to magnify
what was seen in the distance, such as vehicles or light poles that
appear very close together, owing to the compression of distance at
long range. If anyone thinks I've got it cock-eyed, please say so.