Re: [OM] Edmonton Photo Fair, Fort Edmonton

Subject: Re: [OM] Edmonton Photo Fair, Fort Edmonton
From: Gregg <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:50:42 -0400
At 08:12 PM 9/25/2000 -0700, you wrote:
Gregg wrote:
(snip) For an example of a distorted animal shot, here is a
friends dog shot with the 24/2.8
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=80379&a=586164&p=15763910

Ray responded:

Good one, Gregg! Incidentally, AFAIK what we call 'distortion' is
simply a matter of the distance from which we view photos. If you hold
a photo taken with a WA lens close enough to your eye, it will not
appear distorted any more because you then have the same 'perspective'
as the lens.

From everything I have read or tried, you are correct. In this case, the causes of the distortion are multiple. I think the lens and the genetics cancel each other some as the nose appears quite normal (for this dog) in the photo. If you were to put your eye where the lens had been I would assure you that the distortion you saw would be because of the slime job the dog did on you, mostly again, from the nose. I'm glad I was still using UV filters on my lenses at the time.

Gregg