Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:05:50 +1100
Ray wrote
>I don't personally believe that these troubles are due to deliberate
>action by the Government of Indonesia to oppress local populations; the
>biggest problem, IMHO, is a serious lack of Government coordination and
>control. President "Gus Dur" (a.k.a. Abdurachman Wahid) was visibly
>pissed off with the recent murderous attack by the militia (a.k.a.
>scumbags) on the UN staff in West Timor and I don't think he's all that
>impressed with the goings-on in other areas, either.

Maybe also problems with 'dua-fungsi' (dwi-fungsi?) - a concept which would
really trigger the paranoia of the 'tyrannical government' resistors on
this list!

>I strongly suspect that the troubles in this country are aggravated as
>a result of exloitation of the recently-won freedom of the press by
>some irresponsible local newspapers, many of which have a political axe
>to grind and which seem to enjoy spreading rumour and gossip of an
>inflamatory nature. Freedom of speech should not, IMHO, include license
>to lie to a gullible and easily excited public. Freedom of speech is
>still a novlety here; when coupled with the power of the press, I
>believe it needs to be exercised responsibly, with due consideration of
>its likely impact.

I think it was Oliver Wendell Holmes who noted that, free speech
notwithstanding, no-one has the right to yell 'FIRE' in a crowded theatre
for their own benefit or amusement.
Andrew