[OM] Houston Camera Show (astrophotography)

Subject: [OM] Houston Camera Show (astrophotography)
From: dtlocke <dtlocke@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 22:07:38 -0500
Responding to some questions...

Right, the camera/lens are mounted "piggyback" on the telescope.  The telescope
tracks the sky movement very precisely.  You can kind of see the setup in one
of my shots (which is a fixed-tripod shot of about 40 seconds at f1.4, 50mm
lens, Pentax):
http://www.flex.net/users/dtlocke/astrophoto/scope-mway2.jpg

Films:  Today (it changes as manufacturers tweak their films) Kodak RG 400 and
1000 are decent for astrophotos and easily available.  Kodak PJ400 is very
good, but just continued.  Kodak's "LE" (Law Enforcement) film is almost
certainly the same emulsion as PJ400 and is still
available at limited dealers.  Kodak Elite Chrome 200 is a very good slide film
for long (>20 minutes) exposures and Kodak 1600 slide film is also good for
short (2 to 4 min and less) exposures.  Reciprosity failure is a major issue
with films, so sometimes slower films will
expose faster films for long and very long exposures.

My astrophoto page is finally in a decent state, see:
http://www.flex.net/users/dtlocke/astrophoto/astro-index.htm

The site has maybe 400ly & 600entax shots now.  The NHAC Venus & Andromeda
Galaxy shots are Oly.  I should get a few more Oly shots posted soon.

There a film astrophotography mailing list where film (and film hypering!) are
discussed in great detail, by the way..

-Dick

p.s. Gary, glad someone appreciates the effort to stay on topic, thanks for
your support ;-)