[OM] scanner rationalization, or, thank you Wolf Camera

Subject: [OM] scanner rationalization, or, thank you Wolf Camera
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 20:31:22 -0500
I have been shooting a little B&W again lately, using, because of Ken Norton's
recommendation, Kodak CN400 Professional.  It's been great to look at the world
through a 15 filter again - I recommend it.

Anyway, I've been taking it to Wolf Camera for processing and scanning to a
Kodak PictureCD (NOT a PhotoCD, Dirk).  Best price around, pretty quick, and
certainly adequate resolution for web publishing.  Don't bother having them
make prints, they all come out purple & purple-tinge white.

Thursday, I picked up a roll from the Benelux/European OM disposal tour.  Hmm.
. .  I know I've been having some problems with my eyes, but I never blew the
focus that badly before - on a whole roll, shot mostly with a 24 mm, and the
Eiffel Tower wasn't moving!  The scans were truly awful.  Pull out the Zuiko 50
mm f/1.8 MC loupe (obligatory OM content) and, sure enough, every frame on the
whole roll of negatives was nice and crisp.  Well exposed, too.

Saturday was spent making two more trips halfway across town to Wolf to
convince the manager that something in the scanning was screwed up ("But our
machine is autofocus!  Did you use a tripod? They're night shots, you know.
Oh, the negatives ARE sharp.  That's never happened before!") and then pick up
the rescanned CD.  OK this time, but. . .

Thank you Wolf Camera - that episode was the last little bit of rationalization
I needed to go out and buy the film scanner that I wanted anyway.

Gary Edwards (who is shopping for an Acer Scanwit)