Re: [OM] OM: 35-70 lens

Subject: Re: [OM] OM: 35-70 lens
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:16:42 -0400
Yes, the 3.5-4.5 has its limitations. Don't expect it to perform at maximum or minumum aperture like other lenses. Actually I only use it for family shots and the like. The 35-80/2.8, Zuiko primes, or Leica glass gets all the REAL workouts.

My adage? Set your expectations properly, and you won't be disappointed (much).

Skip

At 10:49 AM 9/23/00 -0700, you wrote:
Charles G. writes:

>  At the risk of starting a firestorm: excluding the 35-80/2.8, which is the
>best of the short focal length telephoto lenses (35-70)? Ignore the
>differences in filter size.

As an aside, yesterday I took an OM-2S with 35-70mm f/3.5~4.5 along on a
walkabout to some remote aspen groves and fens here in the Spring
Mountains National Recreation Area. It was a compromise to taking
anything but my Bronica ETRSi outfit. As it turned out, the OM combo
served well to "warm me up" to shots with the Bronica. But it failed at
controlling flare (even with the nesting metal 50mm f/1.8 lens hood) and
distortion. The 35mm setting was my most commonly used and the tree
trucks looked comically bowed out due to the severe barrel distortion!
Seriously, it was like taking a center section out of a 16mm Fisheye
image. Not a good lens choice for my compositional technique of framing
a scene with tree trunks.

The f/3.5~4.5 is a seductive lens when you are troubled over the weight
of an outfit. But its limitations in some  shooting situations are bound
to leave you disappointed at times. I sold my previous one after being
disappointed with results at f/22 from an El Nino induced Organ Pipe
Cactus National Monument spring bloom. This time I used one  at f/8~11
and the sharpness was all you would want.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV