Re: [OM] [OT] RE: Freedom, politics

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] RE: Freedom, politics
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 10:52:59 GMT
From: "Matt Bachofen" <mbachofen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:31:20 -0500

Just a good Texas Demcrat. :^)

An oxymoron if ever there was one. This should be the lead definition of the word in Webster's.

There are socio-economic factors
that limit freedom tremendously.  I was married at the age of 22 and was
gainfully employed.  My wife and I went on honeymoon.  We were unable to
rent an automobile solely because of our age.  We had Credit Cards and
Driver's License and insurance.  Wow, boy did we feel free.

Nobody, least of all a business, owes favors to anyone, which is what you expected. But that's the difference between liberalism and realism.

Personally, I believe strongly in doing favors. It's part of my creed and code of conduct. We all owe a moral debt. That includes the business that enjoy the opportunities of the market in which they operate. But making such actions compulsory - whether at the personal or business level - degrades society and the economy to a form of fascism.

Lex
===