Re: [OM] Re: Newbie needs HELP ( what else?)...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Newbie needs HELP ( what else?)...
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:34:15 GMT
Dang you, Warren!  Giving away secrets of the adepts!

Seriously, tho', while Kino made excellent glass for itself under the Kiron name, and for Vivitar as Series 1 lenses, Kiron lenses so far haven't attained the mythical stature and exaggerated prices of some Series 1 lenses. While Kiron optics may have been outstanding, the products overall weren't always perfect. I had a Kiron 1.5x teleconverter in Canon FD mount that was excellent optically, but wouldn't mesh with the aperture actuating levers on my FD lenses. Also the front element projected fairly far forward limiting its use to telephotos only - unlike my favorite Vivitar macro-focusing 2x teleconverter which will fit virtually any lens, I couldn't use the Kiron with my 50mm normal lenses.

KEH typically sells Kiron lenses for $100 or less, depending on type. I'd bet this 28-200 zoom is probably worth $100 or more, tho', but such things always depend on what the market will bear. That's the nice thing about eBay, I suppose - let the bidders decide.

Lex
===

From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:20:04 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/00 7:55:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Kiron, 28-210mm, f4.5-5.6, Macro1:4, Ø72, MC Auto-W, looks 'new'(Both caps
in
>  leather, pull string 'bag' )
>  *Not sure... not a Zuiko, is it?

According to Mohaghan, this is one of the "cult classics" of third party
lens...