[OM] RE: OT batteries batteries batteries

Subject: [OM] RE: OT batteries batteries batteries
From: "Matt Bachofen" <mbachofen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:30:56 -0500
Very good analogy, except:  When made angry by your wife sitting next to
you, because you won't ask for directions, and in a fit of rage you _can't_
grab your seatbelt and easily blow a hole through her skull.  The very idea
that one could make that seatbelt analogy demonstrates you don't understand
the opposing view, that handgun owners kill people, often because they make
an error in judgement or leave their gun where a child can get to it.  I
_am_ a Texan.  I _am_ a gun owner (SKB 505 o/u 12g)  I _do_ own an SUV, and
a liberal.  I know this must be difficult, but a Texan can be all of the
above, and be a hunter.

m. bachofen

From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries

Mmm...I've become reluctant to engage in these conversations since they seem
to accomplish nothing.  One side says its piece, the other side says its
piece, neither side appears any more enlightened about its fellow, and
everyone ends up irritated.

Let's try this analogy.  Assume Someplace U.S.A. is a dangerous place to be
because motorists choose to drive wearing blindfolds rather than seatbelts.
But I choose to drive wearing a seatbelt rather than a blindfold.  How have
I made the situation more dangerous?

Granted I could attempt to avoid the situation entirely by not driving.  But
no-impact living is not an option for most of us.

The 'blindfold' element is a deliberate choice.  Pretending danger does not
exist is like wearing a blindfold.  I choose not to wear one. Does the world
seem scarier?  Sure.  Is it, in fact, more or less dangerous because I don't
wear a blindfold?  Hardly.

Lex