Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows

Subject: Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows
From: Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:41:13 +0200
On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:02:49 -0700, Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I've come across a focus rail with stage. Unfortunately, it's missing
>the base -- the part that attaches to a tripod -- making the rest of
>it rather useless.
>
>Anyone have one of these sitting around? Or better yet, the base that
>the rail fits into vertically, making the whole thing into a copy
>stand? Or a damaged bellows to use as a parts bin?
>
>Email privately with asking price and/or desired trading stock. (No,
>my 90/2 is NOT on the block for this... :-)

Jan,

A thing which I found out before I had a good repro stand was, that
the focusing rail is suited for vertical mounting on a tripod just as
it comes in your case, even without the base you are missing.

The trick is, to remove the black stop from the rear end of the rail.
The hole which the stop is sitting in, has normal tripod thread - so
the rail can be mounted on top of the tripod using that hole, e.g. for
sky photography.
Or, what makes more sense, mount rail and camera below the tripod,
when the latter allows for reversing of the central column (or when
the vertical column has a screw on the bottom side).

The tripod can be used for coarse positioning, the rail for fine
positioning and focusing. The same applies for the bellows, BTW.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.