Re: [OM] Short rolls and another weird thing

Subject: Re: [OM] Short rolls and another weird thing
From: Gregg <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:57:14 -0400
It sounds like a quality control issue with film lengths varying from too short to too long. I used to have this problem frequently when I would wind my own b&w as a youngster. I would wind as much as I could on a roll, then not know for sure when the roll would run out. I soon learned that the development rolls do not accommodate long film length well.

Gregg

Olafo wrote:

I had a similar occurrence on my holiday, one of the 10 rolls of Fuji
Provia 100F I used was short too!
I couldn't believe my eyes when the roll blocked at something like 26,
yet that's what happened. I checked it about 15 times and then decided
to count my losses and rewind the film. Upon removing the film from the
film chamber, sure enough it _was_ marked 36 exposures (which I also knew
and I don't even think Provia 100F comes in 24 exposure rolls), so I was
puzzled too! Perhaps it's a typical Fuji problem, for I've never
experienced anything like this with the stack of Kodakcolor Gold rolls
I've shot over the past few years...

Then, to further add to this: I came across a related mystery which puzzled
me even more. On a trip to a lovely town called Ronda in the south of Spain
I had loaded the camera with a roll of Provia 100F. As always, I checked
whether the film actually advanced when winding it (by looking at the
rewind lever) and it did. I shot the whole roll and when I was inside a
church, I hit exposure 36, then 37, then 38, then 39... :(
I was puzzled and uncertain of what to do, as the film kept advancing. I
didn't understand it as I had double checked it and was certain the film
was loaded correctly. I assumed I must have been mistaken after all, and
I then had the choice between opening the camera and being likely to find
that the film wouldn't be put in correctly, after which I could then at
least put it in correctly and use the roll, or I could just rewind it and
have it developed. I chose option one, and picked a dark spot in the church
so just in case the film would have been wound, not too much damage would be
done. Indeed, the film was wound all the way to the end, so I quickly closed
the camera, rewound the roll and took it out. Upon having it developed I only
lost the last 6 exposures or so (as anticipated) and I had made back-ups of
those (and some more shots) after the camera opening event just to be sure.
Yet, I don't know what exactly happened, as at one point the film must have
been put in well enough to at least advance the frames, it almost seems to me
that it actually wasn't put well enough in the "winding-slot" in the right
hand side of the camera (i.e. the one attached to the film advance lever)
and that it let loose upon hitting the end of the film...

I can't come up with a better explanation (as all frames were filled and the
film didn't let loose on the side of the roll either (not even when advancing
to frame 42)), but if someone has any ideas I'd be interested to hear them...