Re: [OM] CCD chips

Subject: Re: [OM] CCD chips
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:57:31 -0400
At 5:31 PM -0400 9/13/00, M Jennings <mrjlmj@xxxxxxx>  wrote:

I'm not one to join in this conversation too often, but I have the article here
in front of me.  Taken from the New York Times, it states that a camera
containing this new chip was given to a professional photographer in L.A. to
make a test portrait of a cowboy.  In that image, no pixels or dots were
visible to the human eye when enlarged to a size of 8 feet by 4 feet.  The
article goes on to say that this chip is the first to  threaten 4x5 cameras
such as Hasselblad.

The question of whether pixels are visible when an image is enlarged, alas,
has almost nothing to do with how much information there is in the image. It's
a question of how the image information gets blended from one point in the
print to another. (For an obvious example of this, take a look at a 120-line
halftone printed picture vs a 120-line gravure print.)

Just to do the math, 4096 pixels stretched across 8 feet is about 43 pixels
per inch, or about half the resolution of a typical monitor. Of course, you're
not generally going to stand that close to such a big image to see the
coarseness.

(If you look at foveon's web site, www.foveon.net, you'll notice that they
only do monochrome chips, so they have an even greater (apparent) resolution
advantage over more the digital camera images that most people see.)

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx