Re: [OM] Re: wide-angling

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: wide-angling
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 19:55:47 -0700 (PDT)
Brian M wrote:
(snip) . . . My current "wide" is a 35/2.8 .

i had been browsing for a 21/3.5 because i thought to myself, "what
other SLR camera system will let me have a super-wide 21mm lens using a
49mm filter ring?! genius!"   But i hear so often that 24mm seems to be
the most 'usable'.  do you think that a street & travel setup with
21mm/ 50mm /100mm  is best, or should i stick to a 24/2.8 for the
wide-end?   would it be worth the bother (& $$) to have another lens in
between ? (eg./ 21 + 28mm ) ?  . . . (snip)
Brian, my 2 cents: Speaking from my own experience and repeating some
of the wisdom of other list members, there are two sub-ranges of Zuiko
wide-to-medium lenses that make a reasonable and useful compromise, if
you can't afford to buy or don't want to carry the full range of
Zuikos. One is 18-24-35-50mm; the other is 21-28-50mm. The gaps between
lenses in these two sub-ranges are not too great. I can't comment on
the 18mm, 24mm or 35mm lenses because I don't own them but I've been
very pleased with my 21/3.5 and 28/2.8. These are a good, compact,
light and inexpensive lenses. They're also relatively easy to find on
the market. Of course, your choice will depend on your personal
requirements but don't forget you can always add to your range later if
you need to. That's what zuikoholism is all about!

Regards,

Ray