Re: [OM] Black flakes, again

Subject: Re: [OM] Black flakes, again
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 06:49:54 GMT
I'm not sure whether I'm interpreting C.H.'s method correctly, but I think what he means is using one's breath to leave a fine film of moisture on a lens, which is used for a final polishing/cleaning. This vapor is, in effect, distilled water - relatively clean, pure and free of sedimentary or other material that might leave unwanted residue.

Pardon me if I seem to be stated the obvious, but I discovered this year that my grandmother - an extremely intelligent person - didn't know how to use her breath to clean her eyeglasses! Folks like her who have lived their entire lives in a climate that seldom gets very cold might never actually "see" their breath in wintertime. So it wouldn't occur to them that exhaled breath contains a significant amount of moisture.

Of course, plain old spit works pretty well for defogging scuba masks, cleaning eyeglasses and degunking babies' faces. I wouldn't try it on an adult tho'. They tend to get grossed out.

Lex
===