Re: [OM] Need help from UK

Subject: Re: [OM] Need help from UK
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam2@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:31:50 +0200
George Sears" <gwsears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-----
Hi all,
Just purchased a couple of OM items at auction from a seller in the
UK and am trying to complete the transaction. What is the
simplest method of paying in Sterling from the US? Seller suggest
a bank transfer but I don't think my little country bank is up to that.
Is there any money order, American Express, etc. that is accepted
in the UK?
Thanks,
Geo2
-----
Sorry to reply this late but,

I have had the same problem quite a few times myself. Until now I have
allways shipped cash! (when it was not possible to pay by credit card.) I
also asked buyers to ship me cash, which they happily did). Paypal cannot be
used without a US address yet.

I used a normal white enveloppe, packed the money in a letter, so the money
wasn't visible when trying to view through the enveloppe. Closed the
enveloppe the normal way. In some cases I sent the enveloppe by registered
mail or even insured (equiv of $400 from NL to SV was 1.50f the value to
insure. Even cash was covered) Most of the times bank costs either in the
sending or receiving country are much more than these costs, but you also
have to take into account that you will have to pay to change money to a
foreign currency.

I think I have sent money over to:
US 3x (4th time is underway right now)
UK 1x
SV 1x (2nd time coming up, maybe even 3rd time fot other seller)
D    1x
CDN 1x
HK    1x

and received money fom US twice. So I can say I hava had good experience in
sending cash.

but f course as allways YMMV.

Wiliam Wagenaar