Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting

Subject: Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 00:29:45 +0200
Yo,

on Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:33:58 +0000, Dirk Wright wrote:

>We're up to 65mph in the "rural" areas. Montana used to have no speed limit
>on some highways. A bunch of crazy Germans testing Mercedes cars got pulled
>over for doing over 100mph I think. The cop laughed when he said: "They all
>just pulled over together.."

Well, 65 (100 km/h) is (and has been as long as I can remember) the general
speed limit on all roads outside town limits in Germany (valid wherever
there are no traffic signs saying otherwise). On the autobahns there is no
general speed limit, though large parts of them are limited by signs. Going
well over 100 mph on an autobahn is quite normal and perfectly legal
if/when/where traffic conditions allow. What I mean by "crazy speed limit"
is that, considering the distances in the US and the extremely low traffic
load on most of the interstates, a speed limit of less than 100 mph is
completely insane; in fact it is absolutely unnecessary to have any speed
limit at all.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--