Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting

Subject: Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 08:15:24 +0000
>Yo,
>
>on Mon, 04 Sep 2000 09:54:12 +0000, Dirk Wright wrote:
>
>>Those of you in Europe commute 2 hours one way to work??
>
>Some do. While most of the concerned do not deem it acceptable, the German
>unemployment agency does, which means that if you reject an offered job
>because it's 2 hours away (which may well mean a distance of up to about 200
>km = 125 miles), they will stop your unemployment payments.

Ouch!

>>I thought those
>>countries were so small that you could travel border to border in that
>time??
>
>I live in Germany - it's not really _that_ small.

I forgot the grin.....<g> Shoot, if you live in Texas, your driveway is about
that long anyway....<gg>

> In any case, feel
>welcome to give a try to driving the 237 miles in 2 hours. If you make it,
>I'll pay for the beer we'll have afterwards, if you don't it'll be on you.
>;-)

So, I need an average speed of 118.5mph?? No problem, I'll bring my Porsche
911 twin turbo. Maybe I'll really go in style and take that new BMW Z8. What
a sweet car...

>>And what about this public transportation problem? When I was in England,
>the
>>public transportation was outstanding.
>
>I don't know about England. What place were you at - London?

I was in Sheffield, in the Midlands.

>> Don't tell me that you have started to
>>create "suburbs" like us across the pond? As I recall, the typical European
>>lived in a tiny house or apartment in an urban environment.
>
>Nice cliché. A lot of us do, actually, though most of the houses and
>apartments are not any tinier than the average American house or apartment.

Man, I've *got* to start using that grin thing more often.....<gggg>

>Sorry for further extending this OT thread, but there seem to be some
>misconceptions as to the quality of our transportation system

Well, I guess I really touched a sore spot with that post!! It was *all* in
jest!

Here in the 'states, we just hop in our Cadillacs, clog up the highways and
call it "living".....

--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright