Re: [OM] many thanks ...

Subject: Re: [OM] many thanks ...
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 16:01:34 +0200
On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 04:06:48PM -0700, Gary Reese wrote:
> Regarding the 24mm f/2, here is what a C grade for "vignetting" looks
> like in full frame:
>
> http://members.aol.com/olympusom/24f2.jpg
>
> This was an evenly lighted map.  In my opinion, B is acceptable and D is
> a clear throw-away. Any grade looks worse projected, since there is
> light falloff in the image thrown by the projector's condensers and full
> aperture lens. Thus, slide shooters who project their slides need to be
> even more cognizant of this effect.
>
> Anyone can test their own lenses by shooting an evenly illuminated wall.
>
> Whether or not a C vignetting grade is "a keeper" is strictly in the
> eyes of the beholder.

Sure a super-wide-angle isn`t a keeper for repro-work of flat objects.
An obvious amout of vingetting isn`t avoidable for this type of lenses,
What this test clearly shows.
Anybody who is shocked by this test shold remain that every optic is
a compromise.

And thank`s to Tom, because his fine Riverwalk pictures show`s that this lens
is pretty usable for field work.

Frieder Faig