[OM] Pen FT lens and Video capture card

Subject: [OM] Pen FT lens and Video capture card
From: "Dinkar Jhalera" <dinkar.jhalera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 15:08:11 +0100
Some of the list members may remember about an f1.2 43mm FT lens that I
bought from eBay and some of you commeted that it was a good buy back in
July. I think I paid about $125 for it.  It was described as minty.  Well
the lens turned up about  a month ago but luck would have it that UK customs
decided to put import duty on it at about 26UKP. When I got the package the
seller had put the value at $150 so I got charged duty at $150 and not at
$125.  When I pointed it out to UK customs its true value they refunded
about 5UKP back after seeing a printed printout of the eBay close of sale.

This was not the end of story as the lens the lens seemed in a good
condition but the focus ring was very stiff.  From the outside there did not
appear to have any sign of lens being dropped.  I asked the seller that the
lens was not usable and he agreed to meet the 50ost of repair.  I sent
the lens to the nearest Oly repair centre at Luton Camera Repair Service. It
cost me about $70 to repair but when I got the lens back I found that
focussing at infinity was not at the end stop.  The lens is back at repair
centre for focusing adjustment. The seller says he has sent the money
towards the repair but I have not seen it yet, I will wait for a week before
I post a sellers feedback on eBay.  So the lens may not turn out to be a
bargain after all.

On another matter can any list member advise how to put pictures on the web
or into reports.  I do not want to buy a digital camera as I think the
price/quality ratio is still high (for me anyway).  I have in mind to use my
old Sony Trincon camera for which I also have slide and a film attachment
which I bought more than 15 years ago but I never used. Then add a video
capture card to my pc so I can put composite video from the camera to the
video capture card. My problem is to decide what resolution of capture card
I should go for.  There seems to be 3 versions of the card on the market
here in the UK and they seem to be low resolution 370k Pixels; medium of
about 800x600 and high at about 1200x800.  I would like to buy a high
resolution one but if I am not going to see any benifit from the camera then
I would go for the medium resolution one.  I wouild be very gratful for any
thoughts on this.

Dinkar