[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1813

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1813
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:44:38 -0500
------------------------------

> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:59:40 EDT
> From: DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [OM] TTL W/OM2 and Multiple Flash

> If I use two, or three T-20s or T-32s, setting
> the shutter at 1/60th of slower , do I need to make any other adjustments
>for
> multiple flash or will the camera do it for me?

> Dave Dougherty

------------------------------

I used (my) OM2n and T32 and T20 units for multiflash professionally for 10
years until our lab got Canons.  I still like the Olympus better for
multiflash.  The 15 foot cords are the only length that make it
practicable.  C**** and N**** provide just skimpy 9.8 foot cords.  These
are almost useless they're so short.  The bounce adapter was also great,
including the fact that it had a tripod mount and a PC cord built in, so I
could use it with a Rolleiflex and Stereo Realist.  In my experience, I got
perfect exposures with transparency film if I set the compensator dial to
minus 2/3 stop for bounced flash, and to minus 1-2/3 for direct flash.  I
don't know why there was this difference, but it worked great.  I stopped
using this set-up (for work) when use started to take its toll, since it
was my personal stuff and wouldn't be replaced, but I still prefer it.

I must be truthful with this list and say that as much as I love the OM
system for its elegant design, the weak point for me is the lens locking
pin.  I had a big lens with camera attached roll over on the back seat of
my car and it snapped the pin.  And a couple of other lenses have worn
pins, so they tend to release themselves as I focus.

But, if it is of interest, OM's are THE motorcycling slr's.  A friend and I
rode rented Honda VFR's through England and to the Isle of Man TT races in
1993 (We had press credentials).  I don't think I could have taken the same
amount of gear with another brand.  Besides my personal items, and my
biking gear, I was able to bring an OM2S, an OM1, 21, 50, 100, and 300
f/4.5, a Vivitar tripod + filters, film etc.  My friend also owns Olympus,
so he brought different focal lengths, allowing us to swap, if need be.
For any fans out there, I must say I was fortunate enough, using my OM2S,
to get a close shot of the late, great Joey Dunlop at Governor's Bridge, on
the last turn of the last lap of the Lightweight TT, just seconds before he
surpassed Mike Hailwood's total of TT wins.

Sorry if this turned long, but this is my favorite camera list; the
contributors seem more down-to-earth and friendly than others I read.

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer
Univ. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee