[OM] Re: Flash sync question

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash sync question
From: Wm Biesele <biesele@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:51:45 -0600
Brian P. Huber wrote:

>Time to drag out your Hasselblad!
>Or, use one of those new fangled cameras that have vertical shutters that go
>to 1/250.  Don't trust that new stuff, may not work!

I spent the better part of last Sunday gutting an old manual flash for the XA
and
appending a PC cord to hot shoe adaptor with a little surgery and soldering to
connect to the flash contacts from the XA. So I can now mount a T20 or 32 on my
XA.

But this didn't come with instructions on how to use. Two ways seemed apparent:
1) Set the XA to the flash setting (f4 if memory serves), set a T20 to low
power auto
and using ASA100 film the flash is also set to f4. Only works with ASA100 film,
if at all.

2) Set the ASA on the aperture on the XA to match the indication from the flash
(i.e. f8).
This showed an immediate problem, the XA is not OTF and did not know a flash was
attached so I got a long exposure plus flash. Probably overexposed since the
flash exposed
properly for a short exposure and the body for a long low light exposure. The
first solution
was to set the ASA on the body to the max (800) and try again. The body should
underexpose
by 3 stops and the flash should expose properly still.

Maybe this setup will allow easier fill flash, I'm going to give it a try.

P.S.
I subscribe to a 3D photography news group and they occassionaly mention a way
to mount
XA2's base plate to base plate and wire them together for stereo photography.
Has anyone
on this list tried this or know of a reference on how to do it??