Re: [OM] some quick-n-dirty scans

Subject: Re: [OM] some quick-n-dirty scans
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 08:37:33 -0500
Good work, Acer.  "Flashburst" needs to have its story told!

I really like your B747 wing shot. The ripples in the wing skin are normal.
The weight of the whole airplane is supported by the difference in air
pressure between the top and bottom skins of the wing.  The lighter gauge
skins aft of the wing box will bow upward due to the pressure, and they will
ripple some to accomodate the flexing of the wing.  The trick is to keep the
resulting stresses in the elastic region of the metal to avoid fatigue,
something that Boeing is quite good at.

The sundogs I'm familiar with involve ice crystals (cirriform clouds) at
high altitudes and look different.  Frank van Lindert can probably give a
detailed explaination (he's a meteorologist). Don't think that's what this
is. Didn't know that you were coming through DFW; give me a holler next
time.

Oh, and the fourth shot, that's a Delta B737 (-300 or later) by the nacelle
and pylon.

Regards,
Gary