RE: [OM] flash question....

Subject: RE: [OM] flash question....
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:31:30 -0400
OK, 'nuff's enough.  Both Vivitar and Sunpak make flash units that are TTL
with the entire OM line, so does Metz and a few others.
The model having "D" in the Sunpak line are fully TTL., including OTF flash
when using the OT-1D adapter.  Models: 422D, 30Dx, 433D, 444D, 555, 622,
120J, the 8 and 12 Ringlights.
Vivitars: 3700, 3900, and 4600 w/DM/O adapter.  5200, 5250 (?), and 5600
w/PM/O adapter. Adding the DSC-1 to the DM/O will get an extra 2 feet of
extension, adding the DSC-3 will get the same to the PM/O adapter.  Using
the DSC-2 will give same results with the 3900.
Metz: 321 adapter on any SCA300 compatible flash (32Ct3, 45xxx, 60xxx, will
give TTL and OTF, adding the 300A will give extension like Vivitar and
Sunpak.

I'm not going to yell at you like Raggedy Ann, but you've got to get your
facts right or there's going to be trouble!!!

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

I prefer the T20 because of its small size.  Unless you really need the
extra power, go for the T20 rather than the T32.  I would purchase a T20
rather than a comparably priced non-Olympus flash so that you will be able
to use the OTF feature when you (inevitably) move up to an OM-2/3/4.

On 26 Aug 2000, at 0:08, David Thatcher wrote:

> until I save funds sufficient to buy a suitable flash for the 10
> (suggestions please!!!), I bought a CHEAP (AUD$10 about US$5.60 given
> the current dismal exchange rates) secondhand Vivitar 1900 flash (a
> single centre contact 'hot shoe' type). to use this on the 10 I assume I
> need to set a manual (adapter) speed of 1/60th & use the
> ASA/distance/f-stop guide data on the back of the flash, is this correct?

I use the Olympus T-20 on both my OM-10 and OM-2 and I've been
happy with it.  Folks with more $$$ will probably turn-up their noses at
the T-20 and go for the T-32 (at least half-again the price of a T-20).

I paid CDN$60 for my T-20 and it came with the calculator panel
(**don't* buy one without it!) and a soft case.  It was "listed" in the used

camera store for CDN$110.  I've seen them go on e-Bay in the US$30 to
US$40 range.  Those figures should give you a range to work with (you
figure out the exchange rate).

Check this page out for more info on the Olympus flashes and
accessories:

 http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/flashphotogroup.htm

In the non-Olympus lines, I've used a Vivitar 283 (alot) and a Vivitar 285
(played with it a few times 'fore trading it for a Zuiko 70-150mm f4 lens),
and they worked great.  My Vivitar 283 is gonna go on the auction block
someday, once I find a genuine (not metal) shoe to replace the cracked
one that's on it.  (Anyone have one of these for sale????)

But, if you can, stick with either the T-20 or T-32.  They'll work in TTL
Auto mode (no mucking with settings) where the non-Olympus flashes
won't.