Re: [OM] flash question....

Subject: Re: [OM] flash question....
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:51:21 -0600
On 26 Aug 2000, at 0:08, David Thatcher wrote:

> until I save funds sufficient to buy a suitable flash for the 10
> (suggestions please!!!), I bought a CHEAP (AUD$10 about US$5.60 given
> the current dismal exchange rates) secondhand Vivitar 1900 flash (a
> single centre contact 'hot shoe' type). to use this on the 10 I assume I
> need to set a manual (adapter) speed of 1/60th & use the
> ASA/distance/f-stop guide data on the back of the flash, is this correct?

I use the Olympus T-20 on both my OM-10 and OM-2 and I've been
happy with it.  Folks with more $$$ will probably turn-up their noses at
the T-20 and go for the T-32 (at least half-again the price of a T-20).

I paid CDN$60 for my T-20 and it came with the calculator panel
(**don't* buy one without it!) and a soft case.  It was "listed" in the used
camera store for CDN$110.  I've seen them go on e-Bay in the US$30 to
US$40 range.  Those figures should give you a range to work with (you
figure out the exchange rate).

Check this page out for more info on the Olympus flashes and
accessories:

 http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/flashphotogroup.htm

In the non-Olympus lines, I've used a Vivitar 283 (alot) and a Vivitar 285
(played with it a few times 'fore trading it for a Zuiko 70-150mm f4 lens),
and they worked great.  My Vivitar 283 is gonna go on the auction block
someday, once I find a genuine (not metal) shoe to replace the cracked
one that's on it.  (Anyone have one of these for sale????)

But, if you can, stick with either the T-20 or T-32.  They'll work in TTL
Auto mode (no mucking with settings) where the non-Olympus flashes
won't.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Chris