[OM] "gets along well with others"

Subject: [OM] "gets along well with others"
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 16:27:11 -0500
Cc: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Shortly after I joined this list, I found myself angered by a posted opinion.
That is when I learned how easy and quick it is to vent one's anger directly
into the keyboard, and, more importantly, how quick and irretrievable is the
click of the "send" button.  Chastened, and realizing that much of my anger
came more from other sources than what this fellow had written, I resolved not
to get into any more flame exchanges.  Since he is a big sort of a guy, the
object of my nasty message forgave me and we have since shared some pleasant
exchanges (either that or he forgot it was me.  Don't remember if I ever
actually said I'm sorry.  I'm sorry, Ken.)

There has been much discussion of the reasons that civility seems to break down
more easily in email exchanges.  It really should be enough that each of us
knows how easily it happens, and try to avoid it.  It doesn't make for much fun
or enlightenment.

That said, I'm obliged to say what I think about Lex.  He is opinionated and
prolific, but if you'll take the time to look at his web site, you'll find that
he is a damned fine shooter; creative, skilled, and humorous.  Whether you
agree with his comments or not, what he says works for him.  He is also, as we
say around here, good folks.  Not very long ago, my family faced a very
difficult day.  I had exchanged emails with Lex on and off-list, but we hadn't
ever met in person.  Just the day before, I called Lex and asked a special
favor.  Lex took the afternoon off and did it for us with a smile.  And, as big
men do, he took the time to stop and listen to a little boy.  His skill and
generosity will help us remember for a long time a very difficult and beautiful
hour in our lives.  Thank you, Lex.

Gary Edwards