[OM] Digital vs Analog

Subject: [OM] Digital vs Analog
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:41:53 -0500

>From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
>I don't think the data storage problem will ever resolve itself, it
>has been a major problem since day-one with computers...
>My ideal system is this:
>analogue originals: OM System and silver-based film
>digital editing: scan processed negs and trannies
>computer prints: inkjet or whatever is convenient
>Vaughan

I agree with this totally.  I've been reading posts on the University
Photographers Assoc. of America list mentioning articles that told how
newspapers and other organizations were deleting images right away, thus
shortchanging history.  I know in my own photography, more than a few times
I've found images shot years before and never printed that now have meaning
beyond what they had initially.  Digital images are just too easy to
discard, either by accident or design.  I'll do what's necessary
professionally, but for my personal photography, I don't want to use
anything but film.  Even my XA has a terrific information storage
capability when loaded with Kodachrome or APX 25, and is TINY and quick.
(Contrary to some posts I've seen here, my XA gives sterling results all
across the frame.)

Alan Magayne-Roshak