Re: [OM] Shiping costs ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shiping costs ?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:00:19 -0400 (EDT)
> My experience is that the Canadian PO will inconsistently charge tax
> (GST+PST)=150lus $5 brokerage on items over about $150 US.  The
> actual amount probably depends on their workload and when in the
> shift the item comes, and whether the item looks home-packed.
>
> Canadian law allows stuff up to $20 cdn in w/o tax, or $60 if a gift.

I've received a lot of packages containing various photographic items
via the post office.  What you say is generally true, but I'd also add
that the size of the package also matters!  I've had small packages worth
well over $150 come through with no taxes collected.  I've also had large
packages come in with less than $5 tax collected on them.  In almost all
cases the packages were declared as a "gift".  It also seems they can't be
bothered figuring out the currency conversion for anything other than a
US dollar.  Almost every package that has arrived from Europe has come in
with no taxes owing.
                                -mark