re: [OM] "Pulling" an Ilford HP5 ???

Subject: re: [OM] "Pulling" an Ilford HP5 ???
From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:16:33 -0500
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas, you asked the other day for advice on "pulling" a roll of HP5+ at
ASA 100.  Now that I'm home, I opened up my "The Film Developing Cookbook"
(written by Steven Achell and Bill Troop; it's a gold mine for all things
chemical that relate to B/W film) to see what was there.

Tetenal Ultrafin and Ilford ID-11 (essentially the same as D-76) are both
listed.  Following are the development times for HP5+ in ID-11 at 68 deg.
F/20 deg C, 35mm film, intermittent small tank agitation, and a diffusion
type enalrger (condenser owners should increase the times by 200r so).

ASA    dilution      time (minutes)
400       straght      7.5
800       straight     10.5
1600    straight      14

400       1+1             13
800       1+1             16.5
1600     1+1             20

Following are the times given for Ultrafin, same conditions.   This is all
that was in the book for this developer.

ASA    dilution      time (minutes)
400       1+10      7.5
800       1+10     10

400       1+20     16

As a starting point, I'd go with ID-11 and try extrapolating the 1+1
dilution times on a piece of graph paper to get a starting point for the
"pull" times.  I'd shoot a test roll of a known-value target and use strips
of that roll to refine the curve a bit on either side of the "100 ASA'
figure, then go for it with the real McCoy.

Hope this helps.  Let us know how it turns out!

regards,

Mahlon