Re: [OT] hifi was:[OM] Lens Test - Long and Opinionated

Subject: Re: [OT] hifi was:[OM] Lens Test - Long and Opinionated
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:19:56 EDT
Funny how we often get off onto talking cars and stereos, but when you really
think about it, your choice of camera,car, or stereo is often consistent.

I think I've always loved the "feel" of well-engineered components......they
don't have to be the fanciest nor the prettiest..but if the feel is right. In
the 70's my hub and I assembled a Dynaco system and teamed it with Tannoy
Arden speakers. At that time a lot of friends were grabbing very chunky
Harmon-Kardon rack conponents, etc..and the Dynaco looked very small and
sleek in comparison, but I always loved the system (used it from '74 til '94
when I finally updated to an Adcom system.) The Tannoys still sound sweet
(but are exceedingly obnoxious to "decorate" around!)

Sabb has always held my interest for the same reason..beautifully engineered,
outlast the competition etc. My '86 handmade Saab 900 (vs my assembly-line
'89 9000) feels like a cousin of my OM1...not too flashy, but well made and
beautiful.

And the Olympus choice 26 years ago perfectly compliments these other items.
It isn't just a matter of seeking what's new or "hot", but what has lasting
value. I don't mind paying a little more if I know it will last and that i
won't later regret the purchase. I don't consider myself a buyer of "brand
names"...but in the above cases, the name HAS made a difference.

Susan Steele
Amherst, VA USA
"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"." (Dave Barry)