[OM] (Fwd) IS3-DLX needs repair

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) IS3-DLX needs repair
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:12:05 +0000
From:          Robert F Mindenhall <rfminden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:            "'owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:       IS3-DLX needs repair
Date:          Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:10:00 -0400

Hi

I have an IS3-DLX that I purchased in 1993 here in Canada.  It has worked
great all this time, and I really like it a lot.  The problem is when I
went to zoom the lens the other day, it just stopped and the camera
shutdown.  At first I thought maybe the batteries had died, but that was
not the problem.  When I turn it on the display lights for just a second
and goes out.  I was able to get the lens to retract, by pushing on it
lightly and turning the switch off and on a few times.  The camera actually
started working, but when I turned it off the lens parked and it will not
work anymore.  I can hear it trying to push the lens out, before it shuts
down.

Now to the questions:

- I suspect the lens might be stuck or the servo motor is dead.  Has anyone
else had this problem?

- Is is worth getting fixed?   Are repairs really expensive?

I have had various brands of cameras for a long long time, and I have never
had one break before.  I would just like some opinions as to whether it is
worth repairing and if it will be a continuing source of problems if I do
get it fixed.

Thanks

Bob
rfminden@xxxxxxxxxxx