RE: [OT] hifi was:[OM] Lens Test

Subject: RE: [OT] hifi was:[OM] Lens Test
From: Frank Berryman <FAB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:05:55 -0500
Actually "hifi" is probably a better term anyway. It's short for high
fidelity, and thus, unlike stereophile, is not tied to the number of
channels.  Since the industry is moving away from 2 channel (stereo) sound,
it can encompass 5.1 and 7.1 (the .1 being the subwoofer) surround sound, as
well as traditional stereo.  Even for the die hards out there who still
listen to two channel, and perhaps continue to use tube equipment and listen
to vinyl records, "hifi" has that retro sort of ring that fits perfectly.  I
don't intend to offend anyone out there, and agree that well recorded two
channel played back on well made equipment in a properly treated room always
sounds better than poorly recorded music on most multi-channel audio
components.  In fact, I was squarely in the stereo camp until I got my
Meridian equipment.  Now in addition to being a Zuikoholic, I'm
Meridioholic.