Re: [OM] Airplanes -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] Airplanes -Reply
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 01:40:47 GMT
Vunderblochen SLRs typically use passive AF and, as you mentioned, need some kind of contrast for best results. Focus assist lights have very limited range and would be useless on subjects like planes flying overhead.

Oddly, some P&S cameras have more sophisticated AF systems. Pentax, and possibly others, have combined passive and active systems for reliability. But, again, the range is limited.

The trick is to find a surface the AF can lock onto, then recompose along the same focus "plane." ;) The Olympus ZLRs seem to be very good at this. My mom's iS-2 can focus on a blank white wall out to reasonable distances by projecting a red beam of vertical and horizontal lines from the focus assist light.

Lex
===