[OM] Extension Tube Question

Subject: [OM] Extension Tube Question
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 21:06:55 -0600
Hi, gang!  It's "Mr. Confused" again!  (Grin!)

I also bought a set of no-name manual extension tubes for my Olympus
outfit.  The tubes came with a very brief instruction sheet that says I need
to compensate for the aperature when using the tubes.  So, for instance,
with the 50mm lens and the 15mm extension tube, the instruction sheet
says I need to multiply the aperature by a factor of 1.65 so that f4
becomes something around f6.6 or so.

Huh?!?!?!?

I thought that the Olympus measures the exposure off the film plane at the
time the shutter triggers???  If so, do I *really* need to worry about all
this exposure compensation stuff, or will my faithful Oly stuff figure it all
out for me???

I hope Oly will do the job for me because my math is really rusty and I
don't wanna have to carry my laptop with me to calculate exposure
settings when I use the tubes!  (Grin!)

Again, thanks for any help you can offer!

Regards,

Chris