[OM] Re: fluorescent/daylight mix

Subject: [OM] Re: fluorescent/daylight mix
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:42:45 -0400
OK, as I mentioned, I asked around about this. Here are the responses:

Wedding Pro #1: "That's why they make FLD filters."

TV cameraguy who moonlights as wedding/office portrait guy for hire: "Turn
off the fluorescents and either use lights you brought with you, or if the
daylight from the windows is strong enough let it be the only light.
Alternatively, you could leave the fluorescent lights on and over power
them with flash but this will still leave a greenish tint to the background."

Instructor #1: "Use a #20 magenta filter on the camera and a green gel
filter such as 'Tuff Green' on the flash."

Instructor #2: (Concurs completely with Inst. #1) "A number 10 or #20
magenta filter coupled with a bit of green filter over the flash head
should take care of _most_ fluorescent lighting situations, but there will
be some that you'll have to really experiment with to find the best solution."

Both Instructors are working pros that shoot for major media outlets and a
look inside their bags indicates that they practice what they preach. Both
had translucent green plastic taped over their flash heads. They call it
Tuff Green, but it looks to me like the sort of clear green plastic that
one might find on a report cover if one could find a sickly lime green
report cover, that is.

The idea behind the green gel on the flash and the magenta filter on the
lens seems to be that the fluorescent lights give off a greenish tint.
Uncorrected, the flash would simply add white light which would look harsh
or simply odd. Correcting the flash to green solves that. Then the magenta
filter on the camera knocks out the greenish tint from both the flash and
the fluorescent lighting.

Use of a tripod is recomended.
Mike Swaim