RE: [OM] [OT] And for Your Next Assignment -Reply

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] And for Your Next Assignment -Reply
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:16:47 GMT
I suppose I have mixed feelings about David Hamilton's photographs. (Ambivalent enough for you?) On the one hand, they're beautifully and tastefully done. OTOH, as the father of daughters ... well ... what *is* on the other hand now? My daughters are adults now and if they chose to engage in such modeling how could I object? Not if it were executed as well as Hamilton's. When I see my daughters, however poorly we may sometimes get along (the youngest is still cutting the apron strings, with the attendant attitude problems), I can't help but think, "I, their mother, and God helped to make these beautiful creatures."

So while I *wouldn't* photograph children nude beyond the age of 3 or so, nor allow another to do so of my kids, I must confess that I have wanted annual nude photos (or paintings) of all the kidlets in my family (grandsons included). I consider my kids and grandkids equally beautiful, and while I'd *like* to have an annual record of their development, I know it isn't considered acceptable to our culture. It's too bad, because I've so enjoyed seeing them progress from birth to that day when they close the bathroom door and let you know they can bathe and dress themselves now, thank you very much for the help all these years, bye. It marks a milestone that can never be revisited.

OTOH, the way my older grandson hollers when I try to wash his hair, perhaps I'll be relieved when he reaches that stage.

Lex
===
From: Hans van Veluwen <HVeluwen@xxxxxxxxxxx>

As for the soft and slightly out of focus images of naked 8 to
12 year old girls by some English photographer [Bailey?] they might >>be held to be over the line.

That would be David Hamilton.

http://www.hamilton-archives.com/newsite/index.html