Re: [OM] new Ilford 400 film

Subject: Re: [OM] new Ilford 400 film
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:13:42 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Simon,
>         ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << I found Delta 400 only gave a small improvement in grain over HP5, and
>  pushing was worse, so I stayed with the older film. >>
>
>       I have recently been using Delta 100, 400 &3200 (I assume old versions)
> after they were recommended by a list member a while back.  I find the grain
> improvement over Tri-X/HP5 quite significant **when exposed correctly**.
>
>        Reciprocity does seem worse and if underexposed it does not do as
> well. Overexposure seems to be better.  Processing also seems more picky
> (check the time-temperature-dilution -developement curves on the Ilford
> website to see why).

I can only second that statement. Both the Delta400 and the Delta100 seems
to have better performance (as in: finer grains etc.) than the
FP4/HP5/Kodak-equivalents - when exposed correctly. I have never been much
into the pushing-business (except for the Delta3200, which, btw., does a
wonderfull job at 6400) so I cannot really comment on the performance
there.

Save for using up the stock of FP4/HP5's I am almost exclusively using the
Delta's now for 35mm work. When I shoot medium format, I almost always
have either a good tripod or detailed control over the lightening (as
in: formal portraits etc) - or both. Hence I most often use a PanF-50 iso
for that purpose (and the prints hereof can be enlarged to almost infinite
size without looking "grainy and wierd").

Best regards

--thomas